Our History
 
 

A comprehensive history of this ancient church which was established in 600 A.D. is not available. But there are many historical documents mentioning the historical importance of Mylakomb Church. Representatives from the parish attended the Council held at Udayamperur in 1599 A.D.. History records that the Metropolitan of Goa visited Mylakomb Church after the Council. It is recorded in church history that representatives from the parish attended the meeting held at Angamali for discussing ways of getting a Suriani Bishop (Bishop belonging to Syrian rite) on 1 February 1787. (P. Kurian, Mar Thoma Nazranikalude sathyaviswasam, Thiruvananthapuram, 1908, pp.183).

The then vicar of Mylakomb Rev. Fr. Youseph Kathanar, Vettukallumpurath had affixed his signature in the application requesting the appointment of a local as Bishop submitted in 1876.

(Bernard Thoma, Mat Thoma Christians, Vol.1, Pala; 1919, p.336).

There had been monks and monasteries in the eastern style in the Kerala Church in the early centuries. Historian Poulinos has recorded that remains of such a monastery was found in Mylakomb. Besides, Rev. Youseph Malpan Vattackattu who belonged to this parish had been running a seminary in Mylakomb in 19th century.

A lot of priests had served in this church which was established as far back as 600 A.D.. As the ‘nalagamam’ (priestly calendar) since the year of the erection of the church is not available, it is not possible to mention the names of all the priests who had served in this church. Very Rev. Msg. Francis Thekekara who had served in this parish for long 27 years and renovated the church during his tenure needs special mentioning. The first convent of Sacred Heart Sisters in the Diocese of Kothamangalam was established at Pynkulam by Very Rev. Msg. Francis Thekekara. Very Rev. Fr. Jacob Kalapurackal who had been the vicar from 1998 to 20th May 2006 constructed the buildings for the Higher Secondary School and B.Ed. College in Mylakomb. The Higher Secondary School and the B.Ed. College started functioning during his tenure as vicar. M.Ed. course was started during the tenure of Rev.Fr. Jose Venguran who took charge of the parish in 2006.Many construction works were undertaken under his leadership. The tiles on the roof of the church were replaced with asbestos sheets. A chapel was erected in the cemetery .Common tombs were constructed. The church yard was beautified. A grotto commemorating the martyrdom of St. Thomas the apostle was erected near the vicarage. A grotto of Lourde Matha was erected beside the road in front of the church.

  Several antique things are preserved in the church. They include the baptismal font which had been in use since the erection of the ancient church, the stone cross planted in the initial years of the erection of the church, the church bell cast in 606 A.D., the dome of the ancient former church, the stand of the ‘thukuvilaku’, flowers engraved on wood, etc. Sacred relics such as a piece of bone from the leg of St. Thomas the Apostle which is certified by the Roman Court and a relic of the Holy Cross are also preserved in the church.
 
St. Thomas Forane Church
News & Events
Feasts
Priests From the Parish
church Sisters From the Parish
church Former Vicars
church Memorable Personalities
church Parishes Under the Forane
church Religious Organisations
church Religious Houses
church Our Institutions
church Family Units
church Photo Gallery
 
 
Copyright@stthomasforanechurchmylacombu.com. All right reserved. Church Site Design By iTruth Solutions